City Departments >
Community Services and Recreational Programming >
Substance Abuse Chemical Dependence Program
Otis T. Barker, Sr., Deputy Commissioner
Office Hours: Mon-Fri 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM
182 Oakmont Street
Buffalo, New York 14215
Elmwood Counseling Clinic
191 North Street/Suite 105
Buffalo, New York 14201
(716) 886-3982 – Fax (716) 886-3612
Hours: Mon-Wed-Fri: 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM
Tue& Thu: 8:30 AM – 7:00 PM
191 North Street, Suite 112
Buffalo, New York 14201
Phone (716) 886-3757
- The City of Buffalo Division of Substance Abuse Services was instituted in 1975 to provide the citizens of Buffalo with quality substance abuse and alcohol treatment, education and case management services.
- The Division received its Article 28 from the New York State Health Department in 1982.
- City DSAS has 3 multipurpose clinics conveniently located throughout the City of Buffalo.
- The City of Buffalo DSAS offers confidential counseling.
- In conjunction with its treatment facilities, the City of Buffalo DSAS provides random drug testing, physicals and urine screening to private industry for their employees.
- The Division is affiliated with the City of Buffalo COURTS Program, providing counseling services to individuals involved in the criminal justice system with drug and alcohol issues.
- Patients are given comprehensive diagnostic assessments to assist in determining the extent of their involvement with alcohol and drugs.
- Individual counseling for adolescents, young adults and families with chemical dependence problems.
- Specialized programs for individuals referred by the Courts with domestic violence and chemical dependence issues. (City Court, County Court, Integrated Domestic Violence Court).
- Patients receive social work services from a Licensed Certified Social Worker, case management, social skills enhancement and vocational/educational services.
- Medical services, including physicals and medical referrals.
- The City of Buffalo Division of Substance Abuse Services is staffed with several Qualified Health Professionals, inclusive of a New York State Certified Physician, Licensed Registered Nurse, New York State Certified Social Worker, New York State Credentialed Alcohol and Substance Abuse Counselors and Credentialed Prevention Counselors.
- Our Counselors provide patients with intensive treatment that is modified to meet their specific needs. As City of Buffalo residents, our staff is caring, empathetic and sensitive to the needs of the citizens of Buffalo and Erie County.
- Adolescent Counseling
- Anger/Stress Management Groups
- Batterer’s Intervention Groups
- Domestic Violence Groups
- Drug Testing for Private Industry
- Family Counseling/Conjoint Counseling
- HIV Education and Referrals
- Individual Counseling
- Men’s Group
- Relapse Prevention Groups
- Women’s Groups
Referrals can be made to any of the Counseling Clinics Monday through Friday from 9:00 AM to 4:30 PM.
New York State Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services