Skip Navigation

  1. City Departments
  2. City Services
  3. Online Payments
  4. My Profile
    1. New User Registration
    2. Existing User Login
    3. Schedule Payment Instructions
  5. Meetings

Home > City Departments > Permit and Inspection Services > Inspections > Demolition


A first aspect of any demolition except for an emergency demolition is a check by City Preservation or the head office in Albany to see if the property is contiguous with any properties that are on the National Historic Registry as Historic Landmark properties; this check takes one to two days.

Next, an asbestos survey done by a licensed asbestos inspector is required. If asbestos-containing materials (ACM's) are found, asbestos abatement under permit by a City-licensed contractor is required. An inspection by a City asbestos inspector after work is complete, follows. Approval generates a 105-D form, stating that all ACM's are gone.

This form -or an asbestos survey stating that no ACM's were found upon original inspection - becomes one of up to six items, depending on the type of demolition, that must be assembled prior to application for a demolition permit. (See the first FAQ for the different demolition types). The other items that may be required are:

  • Preservation approval following a check for contiguous to national historic registry properties,
  • Two insurance certificates; one a general liability certificate dated to encompass the work period, naming the demolition at the project's assessed address and listing the City of Buffalo as additional insured with respect to the project, and the other certificate a worker's compensation one, dated to encompass the work period,
  • A Performance Bond in the amount of $5000., naming the project's assessed address, or a certified check made out to the City of Buffalo in the amount of $5000.,
  • A copy of the demolition Contract
  • A Sewer and Water cut-off Release form filled out by a Master Plumber stating that these services have been terminated at the assessed address,
  • A receipt showing that the property was bated against rodents within 1 week prior to the work start date.

Call Larry Schiavone at (716-) 851-4914 or the permit office at (716) 851-4925, or -4924 to find out what will be required for your project.

Demolitions follow processes shown in the following charts; click on link:

Chart A) Demolition of Properties Razed through the Department of Permit and Inspection Services,

Chart B) Demolition of Privately-Owned Property By a Licensed Demolition Contractor

Chart C) Demolition of Privately-Owned Property by the Owner.