Welcome Log out
Have any questions or concerns? Give us your feedback
Mayor Brown, Senior Citizens Celebrate National Older Americans Month in Buffalo
Mayor issued a proclamation, naming May ‘National Older Americans Month’ in Buffalo
BUFFALO– Senior Citizens will have their moment to shine in the month of May. Today, Mayor Byron Brown was joined by senior citizens from nearly two dozen Senior Citizens’ Centers and Organizations in Buffalo to kick-off National Older Americans Month. This year’s theme, Unleash the Power of Age, puts a spotlight on the important role older adults play in sharing their experience, wisdom and understanding to other generations.
“I am proud to recognize the contributions made by our senior citizens who continue to play a vital role in Buffalo’s progress,” said Mayor Brown, noting that he provided $50,000 in new funding in his recommended 2013-2014 City Budget to expand activities for senior citizens. “Throughout the month of May, I encourage city residents to acknowledge and show their support for the contributions that senior citizens have made in their lives. I also urge our city seniors to participate in the many special events planned in recognition of National Older Americans Month in Buffalo.”
Mayor Brown and the City of Buffalo Division of Senior Services have a number of events planned in celebration of National Older Americans Month in Buffalo, including:
· May 1: “Let’s Go Speak to Animals” at the Buffalo Zoo- Vouchers for admission and snack provided. RSVP only.
· May 9: “Let’s Play Ball” –Attend a game at Coca Cola Field, Admission and snack vouchers are provided. RSVP only.
· May 15: “Let’s Take a Ride” to the Corning Museum of Glass, Corning, N.Y. – Buss Leaves from the back of City Hall. Senior Cost is $25. All other admission fees, Coach transportation, etc. paid by Senior Services. Pack a lunch or buy there. Limited seating available. RSVP only.
· May 23rd & May 24th: “The Annual Senior Citizens Craft Show and Sale” at City Hall. Be a vendor, customer, or take a field trip. RSVP for Vendors only.
· May 29th: Annual Senior Citizens Bowl-A-Thon at the Kerns Avenue Bowling Center, RSVP only.
· May 31st: Senior Citizens Day at the Burchfield Penney Art Center- No cost.
All seniors are welcome to join in the activities. For more information, contact the City of Buffalo’s Division of Senior Services at (716) 851-4141.
© 2001-2011 City of Buffalo
Photos by Angel Art LTP, compliments of the Greater Buffalo Convention and Visitors Bureau. Additional photos by Adrian Roselli, compliments of Algonquin Studios